Tyme Wear ventilatory threshold measurement

@shawnfife here we go! can you post a lactate / resp overlap graph :slight_smile:

If you are planning to train respiration make sure you get a test first, but needs to be a specific protocol, to determine your strengths and weaknesses.

It can be a big waste of time if you don’t know your strength limiters.

Steve

chart

3 Likes

I like it :slight_smile:

The VT is just before the lactate just slightly.

An likely the best range is VT to LT…

Thanks for posting I can no longer be the guinea pig I was for 25 years…plus my stuff is still in the van all packed up from the move.

At least we are on the same time zone now.

So I would use lactate as a ceiling…and vt as a beginning of a zone…

I am always up for being a guinea pig!

With respiratory training - finding strengths vs limiters, would that be using a metabolic cart?
I’m probably a couple of months out before I can get a cart and then looking at getting a P100

@shawnfife

There is a way to test using the P100 but I prefer to use a met cart, and then train on airofit or p100 or both depending on where the client is.

Before you buy a cart…make sure you reach out to me so you get one that is valid…or it isn’t worth it at all.

Hi Shawin Thank for share.

I reading Stephen Seiller yesterday about this technology

IN this graph i only seen changes in Thb , at 254W , you can pick the inflection point (like lactate) , with Smo2? ( i imagine, yes - but i can seen in this graph)

For VT1 , 19 to 20 , how i suppose to know this is the inflection point?

Just to display the data in a few different ways. This is taking this post a little sideways so I apologize. Just some different ways to look at data.

If we average the smo2 data for the final two minutes of each interval.

SmO2 and Lactate data average last 2m

If we average the smo2 data for the final minute of each interval.

SmO2 and Lactate data avg last minute

If we look at the slopes of the smo2 during each stage.

Depending on how you analyze the data you can understand different changes in the physiology.

If we look at the slope idea, if the smo2 is rising during the workload there is more availability than utilization.

However, even when looking at this, you can see that during the harder steps, there is a point where it is still rising but the smo2 rises just to the average of the entire interval. ( have an app for this coming to the garmin connect site that will show current smo2 relative to the interval average - handy when doing steady steady work below threshold, like live testing during your workout).

If we bring in pwhr into the mix we see some interesting similarities. I find looking at this data gives a good training zone, where is lactate and smo2 can give us a ceiling for that zone. Either or really but the pwhr does give interesting info, it gives clearer info when the test is done by heart rate (rather than power in this case, but still some clear changes along the step test).

If we look at smo2 - the step where the red arrow is where availability and utilization are equal, the only thing here is HOW LONG could the athlete hold this during a workout, but this is likely a ceiling for threshold, and that just below this with smo2 in low 40s would be the best spot to train threshold.

1 Like

Don’t apologise, it’s really interesting

1 Like

I agree, it’s informative; no need to apologize. :blush:

1 Like

@steveneal… you can recommend a tool like the airofit?

I recommend the saxophone :smiley:

@afitz

I primarily use the Idiag P100 as it does everything you would ever need in respiration training.

The airofit I have used myself and with clients as a starting device prior to P100.

I think the airofit is an excellent tool and take most to 70-75% of their capacity, after that you would need the P100.

Now, getting to the end of Airofit use might take you a year depending on your respiration limiters.

1 Like

Thanks for your respons… i just got my airofit yesterday and try to start a consistent training for now :+1:t2:

@afitz Just make sure the training isn’t ever stressful.

It is important to be very consistent and grow slowly.

Most programs will have some breath-holding in them so if you have never done any of that I would recommend following the training they suggest every day, but I wouls also add the Square workout and slowly work up until you can breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, breathe out for 5 seconds hold for 5 seconds.

Enjoy you will likely notice some differences inside the first month.

Don’t forget to always plug your nose when you do this training and testing on this device.

2 Likes

Good to hear, thanks for the advices.

Especially very glad to hear that the device isn’t just a marketing gadget :slight_smile:

+++ What would you say are the main differences i will notice?

If you are consistent you will see an improvement.

The best respiration training device that I have been using for over 20 years doesn’t really advertise very well…but it works.

This will depend on your limiters, which as you do your lung test will change.

To keep it simple there are a few different pieces to the respiration puzzle.

Maximal Inspiratory Pressure

Maximal Expiratory Pressure (very important)

Vital Capacity

Coordination (which you can’t do on the airofit - but the above three you can work on which will help)

1 Like

This software looks awesome.

1 Like

@fazel1010 one day hopefully it will be awesomer! and available for everyone.

1 Like

I just signed up on the forum, so am a bit late to this discussion, but thought I might be able to add some info. I’m a cofounder at Tyme Wear, just so that’s out of the way :slight_smile:

@shawnfife We’ve found that to assess ventilation thresholds from breathing alone it is really helpful to use minute ventilation - breathing rate x tidal volume. Like @steveneal mentioned athletes can train their breathing muscles, and there is generally a wide range of individual breathing patterns. In most cases, by looking at the net airflow, we get around these trained or individual patterns.

Here’s an example data set that is part of a study that will be published early next year comparing Tyme Wear vs Metabolic Cart during a treadmill ramp test. The data below are from the same subject collected from the Tyme Wear smart shirt. Tyme Wear VE is in independent units since the Tidal Volume that is used is a digital value from our sensors, not calibrated to Liters. We also apply some behind-the-scenes cleaning up on the VE signal.

For those interested, here are the raw breath-by-breath VE, BR and Tidal Volume signals from the Tyme Wear smart shirt compared to the Metabolic Cart VE, BR and Tidal Volume from the same subject as above. On about 50 subjects with over 100 records, our accuracy compared to a metabolic cart currently stands at about 97% for breathing rate detection, 85% correlation with cart tidal volume, and 94% correlation with cart minute ventilation.