Tyme Wear ventilatory threshold measurement

@afitz Just make sure the training isn’t ever stressful.

It is important to be very consistent and grow slowly.

Most programs will have some breath-holding in them so if you have never done any of that I would recommend following the training they suggest every day, but I wouls also add the Square workout and slowly work up until you can breathe in for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, breathe out for 5 seconds hold for 5 seconds.

Enjoy you will likely notice some differences inside the first month.

Don’t forget to always plug your nose when you do this training and testing on this device.

2 Likes

Good to hear, thanks for the advices.

Especially very glad to hear that the device isn’t just a marketing gadget :slight_smile:

+++ What would you say are the main differences i will notice?

If you are consistent you will see an improvement.

The best respiration training device that I have been using for over 20 years doesn’t really advertise very well…but it works.

This will depend on your limiters, which as you do your lung test will change.

To keep it simple there are a few different pieces to the respiration puzzle.

Maximal Inspiratory Pressure

Maximal Expiratory Pressure (very important)

Vital Capacity

Coordination (which you can’t do on the airofit - but the above three you can work on which will help)

1 Like

This software looks awesome.

1 Like

@fazel1010 one day hopefully it will be awesomer! and available for everyone.

1 Like

I just signed up on the forum, so am a bit late to this discussion, but thought I might be able to add some info. I’m a cofounder at Tyme Wear, just so that’s out of the way :slight_smile:

@shawnfife We’ve found that to assess ventilation thresholds from breathing alone it is really helpful to use minute ventilation - breathing rate x tidal volume. Like @steveneal mentioned athletes can train their breathing muscles, and there is generally a wide range of individual breathing patterns. In most cases, by looking at the net airflow, we get around these trained or individual patterns.

Here’s an example data set that is part of a study that will be published early next year comparing Tyme Wear vs Metabolic Cart during a treadmill ramp test. The data below are from the same subject collected from the Tyme Wear smart shirt. Tyme Wear VE is in independent units since the Tidal Volume that is used is a digital value from our sensors, not calibrated to Liters. We also apply some behind-the-scenes cleaning up on the VE signal.

For those interested, here are the raw breath-by-breath VE, BR and Tidal Volume signals from the Tyme Wear smart shirt compared to the Metabolic Cart VE, BR and Tidal Volume from the same subject as above. On about 50 subjects with over 100 records, our accuracy compared to a metabolic cart currently stands at about 97% for breathing rate detection, 85% correlation with cart tidal volume, and 94% correlation with cart minute ventilation.

Thanks for sharing.

Do you have a csv of your data, mostly the one where you compare to the met cart? Breathing rate only is fine for both.

Or a fit file?

Thanks.

Absolutely! Here is the Tyme Wear CSV 1hz export for the Threshold Test above and I’ve appended the Cart breathing rate in the last column for convenience. Here is the cart data file as well. Note, this data was collected just below 8,000ft on a subject that lives at that elevation. Let me know if you’d like any other data.

Arnar,

Welcome to the Fast Talk Labs Forum!

As Arnar has mentioned, he is a Cofounder of Tyme Wear.

We are happy that you are able to contribute to the discussion of how your new tech works. Thanks again for participating in the discussion.

2 Likes

How long were the steps in the test?

Thanks, @dave!

My pleasure, we’re very new so I was pleasantly surprised to see the discussion on the forum :slight_smile:

@steveneal the ramp is 0.3mph over 30 seconds - typically starting at 3mph but for fitter athletes like the one above we start at 5mph. They go to volitional failure.

1 Like
1 Like

awesome.

If you are able to provide a demo, I will be doing some work with a metabolic cart company, supersapiens, moxy to look at all of the different trends in each product.

In order to do so would need to be able to have a csv exported in preferably 1 second data…

@steveneal sounds interesting! Would be great to get more details. Can you send me an email at arnar@tymewear.com and we can chat?
Our CSV export includes both 1hz and breath-by-breath.

1 Like

Neat to see Tyme Wear discussed here. It’s great to see the continued progression with Tyme Wear, Arnar. Especially as it is making its way into the cycling realm with Dr. Seiler and the folks here. There is potential here to give us some unique insight into some interesting physiology with respect to ventilation. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Just came across an ad for the tymewear and saw the faq pointing to accuracy of ~7bpm… Which made me think that’s no so good. My next step of research was to come here.

Unfortunately I don’t think I had a takeaway from this thread. Has anyone had updated experiences?