Raising VT1/LT1

Hello all,

I recently did an incremental VO2Max test on a treadmill with gas exchange measurements only (no lactate).
My VT1 is at a low % of VO2Max, while VT2 is quite good. I’m wondering what your thought on my physio values are, and what would you recommend in term of training to increase VT1.

VT1: 56% VO2 max, 60% MAS, 125bpm
VT2: 81% VO2 max, 75% 156bpm
HRmax (test): 173
VO2 max: 72,2ml/kg/min
HR Rest: 33bpm
HR max (true, peak at then of races like 10km or 30TT): 178bpm

Before and during 10 months prior to the test, I had a polarized approach with 6/7 LIT sessions around 115bpm (so 10bpm below VT1), in addition to 1 to 2 HIT sessions (e.g. 4x8’, 6x6’, 3x10’, etc.) around VT2, never between.

Thanks for your help,
Alexis

Alexis -

To be honest, I think that you are on the right path with your training.
Your VO2max of 72ml/kg/min is quite strong!

I think the most obvious change is to push your Zone 1 heart rate a bit closer to your VT1 heart rate. I personally do not like to train right at the top of the zone, but I think that you can raise your target by 5 bpm and likely see some gains.

I think that you could also go through a block of training looking to increase Time at greater than 90% Vo2max as your VT2 is approaching the upper-limit of VO2max. If you’re able to push VO2max a bit further out, then you can likely move your VT2 a bit higher as well.

Thank you Rob :slight_smile:

Your pieces of advice make a lot of sense.

Also, I’ve looked for a 2012 VO2 Max test, good old times when I was super fit and well-trained.
VO2 Max was 83,7ml/kg/min, with VT1 at 67%, and VT2 at 93% of VO2Max.

There is still room for improvement, just need to be patient and consistent :sweat_smile:

Despite that VO2max being ~10 years ago (and maybe a few kilograms) it seems like you have room to improve, which I think means solid focus on the upper end of super-threshold work.

Do you have the “absolute” vo2 numbers (in Liters / Min) from both tests? That’ll be easier to compare than the relative (ml/kg/min)

Yep. V02 was 4.44L/min in 2012 and 3,61L/min in 2023.

It is worth mentioning I totally stopped training from 2014 to Feb 2022 :worried: and also lost some (lean) mass

Agree with everything Rob says. The only other thing you could consider is having a look at the nutrition side (timing & quantity/quality of CHO relative to fat). If you push your fat max by combining your exercise and nutrition strategies your VT1 is likely to follow: Does the aerobic threshold correlate with the maximal fat oxidation rate in short stage treadmill tests? - PubMed

2 Likes

Thanks for your advice Paul! What would you recommend in terms of nutrition?

Honestly Alexis, the nutrition area is a minefield — highly individual and context specific. However its hard to go wrong with the principles outlined in Trevor’s other company, The Paleo Diet (no affiliation - just believe in the principles). The Paleo Diet® | Our Team

3 Likes

Hello @alexis24 already some great information here.

Below are a few examples of someone I work with who I tested in Oct 22 then again Feb 23. We started working together at the October 22 test date.

He is 61, long time cyclist around 20 years, ER doc.

I will say that I agree with @PaulLaursen quite a bit here, in regards to nutrition. The biggest changes I made to my athletes training was using a proper ceiling during his endurance and tempo sessions as well as modifying off and on the bike nutrition.

I have always said that moving the needle on fatmax and crossover point is highly related to the nutrition off the bike.

FatMax compare below

Crossover Point compare below 140w to 210w

6 Likes

thanks @steveneal :slight_smile:

could you elaborate a bit on the kind of nutrition changes you prescribed on and off the bike?

Hello,

Have you read through this thread Polarized training: Where is the "real" endurance zone? there is some information there.

Also, a great place to start is by looking at some of Bob Seebohar information on metabolic efficiency.

For more detailed personal information you could book a consult by sending me a direct message.

2 Likes

Bob Seebohar’s information is very interesting, which I found out through Steve. I started working with Steve 3 months ago as I was interested in how Moxy could aid my training, and all of Steve’s clients work with it, so he has a lot of experience.

I thought it would be a good fit working with him.

My work with him as my coach in these 3 months extended much beyond seeing changes through Moxy’s oxygen saturation levels. I was very surprised to see how quickly my numbers at all levels changed. Max O2 power, threshold increased significantly.

The most impressive changes for me weren’t those. For years I had an issue with decoupling during endurance rides. Having tried different approaches, I thought it could be age-related (65 yrs old) and/or genetic.

By my 3rd month under his program I could do endurance rides as well as tempo intervals work and see very little decoupling; at times negative decoupling, which he explained was due to respiratory system efficiency variances. Efficiency has increased overall for all sessions and rides as well compared to the start. I can handle more cycling work load without feeling as tired in the legs or overall.

I read Seebohar’s long book as well as his eBook. I have increased my protein intake per Steve and Seebohar, and it seems to have helped as well.

3 Likes

Hi @micomico thank you for the kind words. You have been doing an excellent job with the training, it is exciting to work on this progress together!