Minimizing detraining while off the bike

I have to take three weeks off the bike for a work trip to to a country with no gyms. Running causes me back pain. What other types of cardio can I use to reduce detraining? I’m thinking about swimming, shadowboxing, and jumping rope. Will these types of activity reduce detraining? It’s also hard to imagine doing any of them for more than 30 minutes, so that is also a concern. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Others may likely have better ideas, but I remember Arnold Schwarzenegger in his first and classic book writing that if he had only one exercise to ever do, he would do squats. He also said that squats could be done aerobically. Consider doing air squats to a comfortable depth that you can do quickly and for a longer time, watching TV. Use a HR monitor.

1 Like

jvbailey88,
where are you at in your training calendar? Meaning, if you had a full season and have been going “non stop” all year this might be a good time to make this trip a “transition” period and delaod from the season and do other activites and not worry about any specifc training. Regroup both mentally and physically so you come back refreshed and ready for training. If this is not the case, and you have had a break of some sorts and need to keep up with training load I would look at swimming for sure but also do some movements without weights like squats, walking lunges, splt squats, and moblity moves like the bird dog and side lying windmills. Just keep active and that will be great. See this link from Menachim Brodie who is one of the foremost coaches specializing in strenght and mobility. Here he gives a great 15m workout you can do without a gym or equipment. 15M no gym no equip workout Hope this helps and happy training

1 Like