Forum Question of the Week

Fast-Talk-Labs-Question-of-the-Week

This week, we begin a new series called “Question of the Week”.

Each week, we will give our Forum community the opportunity to vote for the question they would most like to see answered. Coach Trevor Connor and I will research the question and prepare a detailed answer that we will post the following week.

Fast-Talk-Labs-Question-of-the-Week-heart-vote

So send us your stumpers! Pose your questions. Then let’s see which questions get the most “Likes”.

Here’s my question:

The metaphor of “raising the ceiling” with VO2 work to allow space for your FTP to grow is often used by coaches. Is that really a physiological thing? It seems to me that most people wouldn’t be limited by an aerobic ceiling.

1 Like

One from me:

How should one schedule workouts when employing a 16:8 intermittent fasting regime, to both maintain/increase muscle mass and cycling performance?

How does the traditional approach of 3 weeks load and 1 week recovery compare to Trevor’s block of six weeks?

In the discussion on 4x8 and 5x5 , 5X5 min versus 4X8 min threshold intervals - #6 by trevor, @trevor mentions giving his athletes 6 weeks of the 5x5s and then six weeks of the 4x8s for progression.

I notice in Trevor’s ATP he has many 6 week mesocycles.

2 Likes

HI @geraldm24 , that’s correct? As a general rule, six weeks is required to see an adaptation. That said, it does depend on the system. If I’m trying to really focus on the aerobic system, I might use two six week blocks. While doing really high end work, such as sprints, I might only do a 2-4 week block because the gains are seen very rapidly!

3 Likes

It’s time for planning out the winter and next season. To achieve my goals, I think I need to increase my total volume of training while mostly adhering to the polarized concepts. I’ve heard coaches suggest that year - over - year increases in volume should not exceed ~10%. Do you agree? Is there any literature to guide yearly volume increases? Should one include cross training activities in calculating total volume (ski touring, cross country skiing, running, hiking)? Does it all depend on the ability for recovery from training? I’ve been around ~600 hours per year for two years. I would like to increase to 700 hours range. I will not necessarily have more time for recovery but I have learned a lot in the last year about how to better organize and maximize my recovery time.

How long does it take to lower VLamax?

I’d like to reduce my VLamax down from 0.6 to 0.4-0.45 mmol/l/s while maintaining or if possible, increasing my VO2max in time for next spring. I’d plan to do this mainly by utilising low cadence tempo and limited threshold work. How long does this level of reduction in VLamax usually take if someone can train an average of 12 hours a week?

Is this possible over 2-3 months or is it a longer process that may take 6 months or more?

2 Likes

how about a fueling question for Coach Connor: As a cyclist, I know I need CHO to fuel my rides and then refill glycogen stores in order to have fuel for top end, glycolytic efforts. But as a masters athlete, once I start hitting carbs, invariably, I’m wanting more each meal (plus in between meals) and soon enough, I’ve added 5lbs around my mid-section (probably because the stuff I’m reaching for is filled with junk). Suffice it to say, it seems I do better body comp wise and weight wise when I lead with protein each meal, and then carb to load. So I’m wondering, what’s the best way to keep the carb Jeenie under control? Is their an ideal time window to CHO fuel …before, during and after rides? And what does Coach Connor think are good examples of good carbs to consider for all the above. thanks!

1 Like

I’ve always wondered how low is too low? If a cyclist that trains 80/20 for 10-12h a week and adds long walks where hr stays between 80-100bpm is there any aerobic benefit?
(My job has me walking 15-20 km every day. Usually takes me 3.5-4h)

How you strength train for the type of cyclist you want to be?

To elaborate, Ironmen or time trialists aren’t really interested in bursty power and generally want a low VLAmax, but at the same time strength training is known to increase short duration power and VLAmax. But also not doing it as you age is a recipe for injuries and the wrong kind of pain.

How and when should you lift to increase/decrease VLAmax? Immediately before/after rides or with long breaks between cardio and strength? Slow/fast eccentric? Long/short holds?

16 hours eating, 8 hours fasting?! :rofl::rofl::joy:

The question or topic on our Forum that got the most likes over the past week was Cylocross in-season training!

We will ask @ryan to address the original question from @anthonylane. Stay tuned for Ryan’s answer next week!

1 Like

Ahh, so not just a topic in this thread.

Correct! We are hoping to inspire more engagement on posts and topics throughout the Forum.

We’re watching for :heart: likes on posts throughout the Forum each week. The posts that get the most likes are the ones that we will ask for a full consideration from our coaches.

Hello Fast Talk Labs members!

Our most-liked (:heart:) post of the week of October 4th, 2021 was this topic on “Post ‘Off Bike’ Form” by member @Carolynsgaskell !

There was no specific question posed in this topic, so we will ask our Head Coach & Physiologist @ryan Kohler to provide us with some strength training guidance. (Fun fact: Ryan is a USA Weightlifting certified strength training coach!)

Remember to vote for your favorite Question or topic of the Week! Simply give topics a :heart: and we will tally them each week for a response from Coach Ryan or Coach Trevor.

Coach Ryan has just posted his reply to last week’s Question of the Week on Cyclocross in-season training from member @anthonylane!

Our Head Coach and Physiologist Ryan Kohler has posted his reply to member @Carolynsgaskell who has found success with consistent strength training.

Ryan is a USA Weightlifting certified strength training coach and he offers a simple strength training circuit for cyclists to try during the off-season.

Enjoy!

Next week, Coach Ryan will answer our next Question of the Week: Decreasing Max HR with LSD.

1 Like

@ryan has responded to a recent Question of the Week: What is the fundamental difference in training benefit from polarized training vs. sweet spot training?

Our Head Coach and Physiologist Ryan Kohler answers our new Question of the Week from @BikerBocker : I didn’t train for the month of September and lost my endurance!

Will it come back quickly?

What are the best ways to reintroduce hard efforts?

Coach Trevor and Coach Ryan weigh in on this Question of the Week: Zones, Rides, & Reality: Is it even possible to ride in zone in the hills?