Episode 214: Why Balance and Timing, not More-Is-Better

I’m really enjoying the discussion here, and particularly the subtle difference between adaptation and recovery. And while thinking about it, I couldn’t help wonder:
Could “speeding up recovery” negatively impact the adaptation processes?

if I think of it using the simplistic “scales metaphor” (or the house building one which makes is quite accessible to and I love that one): the training damage tips the scales which causes the body to respond; in its own way and time as a biological phenomenon which appears to be difficult to study.

However, if we intervene, almost too eagerly, by trying to force the scales back to balance through “speeding up recovery” using various mechanisms: do those mechanisms interfere with the biological processes to the extent that the body responds with a “oh, we don’t need actually that much adaptation, everything restored quite quickly”.

In the house metaphor, the training damaged the house but when it comes time for the body to repair it, it’s like a sub-contractor snuck in early, fixed up a bunch of things very quickly and by the time the processes kick in, there’s less to repair than what would have been = less incentive to adapt? (which is why maybe why the hold/cold immersions speed up recovery but don’t lead to any gains)

which leads me to the conclusion that “speeding up recovery” (like trying to get fit real quick) isn’t sustainable for long term development.