Strength training & ANS

I’ve used the below LT1 as a point that doesn’t stimulate ANS response and thus lower fatigue and recently heard @trevor state it again in a recent podcast but it got me thinking about the strength training component.

Since we usually gauge surpassing that LT1 as % of mHR or % of VO2max ~65%, but strength training often doesn’t elicit high CV response; does strength create a ANS response similar to higher intensity cycling but in a different way?

Does it not and only a muscular and nueromuscular response?

Or are we gauging it incorrectly by % of maxHR and thus any objective output (power/pace) over certain threshold creates ANS response?

HI @dimatheny, great question! A full answer to the question would be a very long answer, but the short answer is that I fully agree - strength training does create a greater ANS response and also does a lot more damage to our muscles. Heart rate is also not a good guide for weight training since weight training is so intermittent.

All of this is why the timing of your weight training in your weekly plan is so important. The rule of thumb is that it takes about 24-36 hours to recover from an interval session or long ride on the bike, but it takes at least 48 hours to fully recover from a weight session.

1 Like