LT2 almost at VO2 max

Hi, i just did a Vo2 max test and i seems to have a relatively high LT2. In fact, It is at 95% of my Vo2 max. What i can understand from that is that my only recourse to make more fitness gains is to increase my Vo2 max wich should not be moving much since im training for endurance since 5-6 years. My best guess would be to have a longer base training bloc this season to increase my LT1 wich is in a relatively normal range.

What do you guys think about that?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. And thanks for sharing your results.
A VO2max of 54,3 is already something to be proud of!

I do wonder if the conclusion on LT 1 is correct. The first part of the graph descends, suggesting that you were not yet warmed up. Is that correct?
I think your LT 1 is closer the the 12 minute mark .

Anyway, you can further develop your aerobic system by doing longer rides.

Thanks!
If you are correct about that, I don’t think it was because I was not warmed up. The Vo2 max test took place at the end of the session where I already pedaled for a good part of 1h30.
In any case, my plan is to do more of theses longers rides

I’m not an expert but would focus more on fractional utilization at the thresholds (56% and 86% respectively) than % VO2 at threshold (95%), so would not conclude that LT2 is almost at VO2 max?

Probably 56% (VT1) has more scope to increase (relatively) than the 86% (VT2), as you observe at the end of your OP. So it’s the usual question of how to increase power at VT1, and your suggestion of high volume at / below that intensity makes sense. Most would suggest some higher intensity / polarization too.

I’m not sure it’s true that you cannot increase VO2 max btw. Higher volume can improve it, but if you are already at your maximum hours (and polarizing training), I’d agree there’s less scope to increase it. So it depends how you’ve been training so far… if you don’t do dedicated VO2 focused blocks, you could do one to create some headroom?

1 Like

Typically ‘fractional utilization’ refers to the VO2 at VT1 or VT2 as a percent of VO2peak. Power at VT1/2 as %Wpeak will of course be different. Off the top of my head I actually don’t know what range of %Wpeak is ‘typical’ for VT1/2. Something to look up!

Keep in mind, the power at VT1/2 during incremental exercise will necessarily overestimate the constant workload power that will elicit the same VO2. So plan your training targets accordingly.

95% is quite high, but looks plausible from the figure. It is interesting, it looks like you must have reached and sustained a plateau at VO2peak for the last minute or so? Was the ramp continuous or steps?

As I mentioned above, even if yes, it appears that your VT2 occurred at 95% VO2peak in this test, it doesn’t necessarily mean your sustainable steady-state VO2 just below CP/FTP/threshold power will be at 95% VO2peak. That I would say is very unlikely.

I don’t think you should necessarily change your training approach based on this conclusion. Things mostly move together. VTs go up and down along with VO2peak, maybe with different proportions. Power at VT1/2 & Wpeak and performance in general can go up and down independent of VO2peak.

Maybe if you’ve been doing similar training for a long period of time, it could be a good time to mix things up and try some different training blocks? But of course, if you’re still getting fitter and faster (fitness and/or performance) following whatever training you’re following, I would not think you need to change your approach based on this fractional VT2.

I think that’s actually normal for VE/VO2 & VE/VCO2. VT1 can be interpreted at the minimum or the upturn in VE/VO2.

1 Like

here is what happened during the test.

Im switching my training from a lot of HIT to pretty much my best understanding of the polarized training guides here. I think a real base training will (and is already 1-1/2 month in) work great for my fitness.

Thanks for the great answer!

Great responses from everyone!

@W_dufour

Do you happen to have the original csv for the raw data of this test? Would love to graph in my software and give some responses.

You can email them to steve@stevenealperformance.com

1 Like

The test was done in the context of a study. I will check if i can get them. I will keep you updated!

Hello,

Just a few thoughts, could go really deep into this but would have to do that in a consult or privately.

Here is how I would look at the data.

I would put your Aerobic Threshold at 190 watts and 154 heart rate, so 190/383 49.6% of maximal aerobic power, 154/195 79% of max heart rate.

I would put your Threshold at 302-310 watts and 181-182 heart rate, so 302/383 79% or 310/383 81% of maximal aerobic power, 182/195 93% of max heart rate.

If I were to look at VT1 I would say 211 watts, VT2 332 watts using a 15s rolling average of the data.

I agree with every @SpareCycles has said.

I agree with @kjeldbontenbal that you were not warmed up.

@W_dufour were you fasted ? 4 Hours ? 12 Hours ? prior ? or not at all???

How do you find your energy in longer endurance rides 3-5 hours if you are doing any?

If I were to say something about what I see, the heart rates at the breakpoints are high, meaning that you could likely benefit from.

Below is your respiratory frequency and tidal volume.

Would really like to see a higher tidal volume and lower frequency much earlier in the test. This would also help take load off the heart rate.

The respiration rates aren’t too bad, but you could really improve depth of breathing. If you can do that I would expect to see heart rates about 10 beats lower, tidal volumes higher in a test a few months from now.

Just some thoughts keep up the good work some pretty solid numbers here.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this great analysis!

no, i ate a normal meal about 3 hours before the test and an oatmeal cookie 1 hour before.

Long distances have always been my weak point (mostly because i was rarely going out for more than 2 hours per session). But since the beginning of October I have been doing a lot of work in Z2 (5 zone model) with 1-2 outings per week of 4 to 5 hours around 70-75% hr max. I already feel that I am more comfortable on long distances and they feel way less taxing than they were before.

if I may ask a question on this, it would therefore correspond with more power at 70-75% max hr. So my endurance training should therefore be at a lower heart rate? or would 70-75% hr max still be the right zone but I would just go faster? In other words does it matter what is the output on the pedals as long as im in the right hr zone?

Ok hard to comment on any of the fat carb info I would usually comment on but fat max and fat carb crossover is likely still low … even though you weren’t fasted for 4 hours ( which would have been ideal to assess that.

Your heart rate would come down at the same power if you could improve the depth of breathing, if you just try this for a few minutes in a workout you will likely see heart rate fall 5-8 beats. The difficulty comes in being able to maintain the depth of breathing over longer periods, this will need focus and training time.

The there thing is that when these longer rides are added the heart rate will start to lower at the same power, which we will be a positive indicator for you.

Then once the heart rate and power are inline with an energy system, you can then start to try and push the power up at that heart rate range.

2 Likes