List of commonly used terms and definitions

I don’t know if this sub forum is the best place for this question and maybe I am the only one with this problem, but keeping track of all the alphabet soup gets a little overwhelming.
I have been listening to the podcast since almost day one and mostly listen on commutes, so no real time to write anything down. I will either have to remember or go back and re-listen to the podcast (time consuming).

Is there anyway since there is now a forum to create an almost wikipedia like post to post common terms and abbreviations with short descriptions and/or hyperlinked longer descriptions as they pertain to cycling?

I am referring to things such as: Sub Threshold, Aerobic Threshold, Anaerobic Threshold, LT1, LT2, VLamax, VO2max, LSD, FTP, Cardiac Drift, 3 zone model, etc.

Example of what it could look like is:

LSD: Long Slow Distance ride. Usually performed slightly below aerobic threshold (could be hyperlinked to the definition of aerobic threshold) or roughly 85% of Max HR (could again be hyperlinked).

If this doesn’t seem helpful then forget it and please delete this post, but after a while I seem to have forgotten more than I have learned and maybe this would also help those new to the training world as well.

3 Likes

This would be a great resource.

I agree, this would be super! Probably a good one for the main fastlabs page. Links to specific episodes for the library members too! Of course as we have heard time and time again on the podcast, terms are used and abused frequently in “popular sports science” discussion so definitions do vary. But adopting a consistent set of terminology at least among the fast labs crowd would make discussions easier!

1 Like

This is a great idea! I’m sorry to have missed it in the sub-forum location initially, but this is something that I have been working on and am continuing to develop over time. So it is in the works!

The list that @yourrealdad started with is excellent. If you would like to add additional terms, I would love to utilize our community-sourced suggestions to make sure we have the most comprehensive list to start with.

Surely this could be crowd sourced in a cloud-based document, eg. Google Docs. Members of the forum would be allowed to edit this document, thereby helping the list grow. At a point in time, it can be updated on a forum page.

This shares the work required, and takes into account Dave’s post relating to a busy Fall (I call it Autumn) and Winter period.

1 Like

@geraldm24, let’s give it a shot with a Google Doc like you suggested. Here’s a simple sheet to start with, so let’s see what we come up with. You should be able to view and edit this document. I’ll leave this link open for a while and check to see how we’re doing on it.

I should add that this is meant to initially start with a sourcing of the terms. I’ll continue working on organizing them and generating definitions once we have a solid initial list. This will be a longer-term project, and one that will be fun to watch evolve.

Thanks!

Thanks @Ryan,

I’ve added a list of abbreviations, with some comments to the right of each one.
I also added some other terms in the physiology heading.
Hope this is what you were looking for - excluding me expanding on the abbeviations.

1 Like

Thanks @geraldm24. This is great!

1 Like

Hey all, here is a doc I put together some time ago. I don’t have time at the moment to copy these elements into the sheet, but I uploaded to Google Drive as an editable link. The definitions are pretty high level, but could certainly be augmented with further detail and linked references.
Hope this helps!

3 Likes
  1. Algorithm - A set of instructions for solving a problem or accomplishing a task.
  2. Artificial Intelligence (AI) - The simulation of human intelligence in machines that are programmed to perform tasks that typically require human-like thinking.
  3. Big Data - Extremely large data sets that can be analyzed computationally to reveal patterns, trends, and associations.
  4. Cloud Computing - The delivery of on-demand computing resources, including servers, storage, databases, networking, software, and analytics over the internet.
  5. Cryptocurrency - Digital or virtual currency that uses cryptography for security and operates independently of a central bank.
  6. Cybersecurity - The practice of protecting computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks, and data from digital attacks, theft, and damage.
  7. Data Analytics - The process of examining large and varied data sets to uncover hidden patterns, unknown correlations, market trends, customer preferences, and other useful information.
  8. Internet of Things (IoT) - The network of physical devices, vehicles, buildings, and other objects that are embedded with sensors, software, and network connectivity, allowing them to collect and exchange data.
  9. Machine Learning - A subset of AI that involves training machines to learn from data, identify patterns, and make decisions with minimal human intervention.
  10. Quantum Computing - A type of computing that uses quantum-mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. A strap fastened around the ankle for support or style.
  11. Robotics - The design, construction, operation, and use of robots to perform tasks in various fields, such as manufacturing, healthcare, and exploration.
  12. Virtual Reality (VR) - The use of computer technology to create a simulated environment that can be experienced as if it were real, often through a headset or other devices.
  13. Augmented Reality (AR) - The use of technology to overlay digital information or virtual objects onto the real world, often through a mobile device or smart glasses.
  14. 5G - The fifth generation of wireless technology that promises faster data speeds, lower latency, and greater connectivity for mobile devices and the Internet of Things.
  15. Autonomous vehicles - Vehicles that are capable of driving themselves without human intervention, typically using a combination of sensors, cameras, and machine learning algorithms.
  16. Blockchain - A decentralized digital ledger that records transactions across a network of computers, providing a secure and tamper-resistant way to store and transfer data.
  17. Chatbot - A computer program designed to simulate conversation with human users, typically used for customer service or other types of support.
  18. Deep Learning - A subset of machine learning that involves training artificial neural networks to learn from large data sets and make decisions based on complex patterns and relationships.
  19. Edge Computing - The practice of processing data near the source of the data, rather than sending it to a centralized data center, to reduce latency and improve efficiency.
  20. Natural Language Processing (NLP) - The ability of computers to interpret and understand human language, often used in applications such as voice assistants and chatbots.