How to ride whilst recovering from a broken small toe?

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I broke my little toe a couple of weeks back. The doctor basically told me not to exercise at all for about six weeks! I’ve not been able to find much online, except one article suggesting I could train indoors on a bike or use an elliptical. Does anyone have any experience in this area that could offer some advice? I’ve been on the rollers a couple of times without issues. I used my running shoes to adopt a more mid-foot position and not put any stress on the toe. Would it be safe to ride outside? If so should I avoid standing up, using cycling shoes etc? Any advice you might have had from medical professionals or your own personal experience would be very welcome. I’ve already lost too much fitness!
TIA
B

You need to talk to Dr. Andy Pruitt!

We are working to launch his Sports Medicine consults as soon as possible. In the meantime, please sign up for his waitlist here.

Thanks Dave.

Any idea how long before that starts? Obviously this is something pretty acute and time sensitive for me. @andrewpruittedd ?

B

There is no treatment for a broken small toe, so it is all about being comfortable while you live life. If you have an old pair of shoes you can cut out the side of the shoe to make room for the swollen toe. A softer shoe sole is best here, works as a splint. Pruitt

Thanks very much @andrewpruittedd. I suspected that was the answer, but good to hear it from someone like you - very much appreciated.