Feedback@colbyme

I was listening to another podcast (oh, the horror!) and came up with a podcast idea.

As the resident trackie, maybe @colbypearce can do one or a series of podcasts on track cycling. Maybe start with a basic run down of the events, what kind of person tends to do well or even just enjoy them. Might end up being a little niche; but, I imagine there is a lot of potential content. Other than some limited knowledge, I don’t know much about track cycling.

I went to university in the Lehigh Valley and was so busy with school and my own college athletics that it took me until the summer between my junior and senior year to realize I was within spitting distance of T-town. Actually, I was out of a drive exploring some rural roads when I drove right by the track. Then the hammer smacked me upside the head and I said to myself, “You dummy, you should go check it out!” Fortunately, that was the afternoon of opening night for the season.

I ended up going that night and had a blast just standing at the fence. It only took a coupe of events before I was banging on the advertising panels and cheering the racers on. I ended up seeing a couple of future Olympians that night.

Ever since, I have been intrigued by the track. It might be that I am built more like a track sprinter than a climber. If only I still had some semblance of the engine I had in the previous century, even if it only existed in my own mind. :crazy_face:

Now for geographic specific questions:

1. Other than Colorado Springs, are there any tracks still in operation on the front range.
  2. Do they have programs for greenhorns? Especially for a FAMAMIL (Fat A-- Mamil) like myself!

I’m married with two teen aged daughters; so I have no shame, a man card, or any worry about embarrassing myself. :man_white_haired:

1 Like

Hi @Ippo, just wanted to reflect on your comment, thanks for taking the time to write in. It is clear you are really finding some challenge in your athletic journey and I want to encourage you to keep listening to your body and digging into the problem. I hear you on the commuting, two of my life long goals are to avoid time in cars and time in hospitals. When you make those objectives it really simplifies a lot of choices and prioritizes health, but it can also mean complication at times.

Walking is a great way to return to a baseline of function. If you aren’t already, I recommend a slow progression towards minimal shoes, with the ultimate goal being to do some walking barefoot. The rules are: don’t go to fast and injure yourself [on the actual walk, as well as in your progression towards barefoot], and don’t burn, puncture or freeze your feet. Also watch out for dog sh*t.

You might enjoy some of the teachings of Naudi Aguilar, he has a lot to say on how humans tend to twist and rotate, and some methods to prevent or unwind. He is smart and very opinionated, so not everyone will vibe with his method, but I have found him insightful thusfar in my studies.

Keep up the good work, the reward is in finding health.

1 Like

Hi @Schils, thanks for your idea. I may do a trackie pod in the future with some info. The Boulder Valley Velodrome is currently not open, rotting in a field in Erie. It is very sad, we had a great program going there but now it is dormant, for a whole bunch of reasons I won’t go into. With Covid, the velodrome in the Springs is not open to the public, only USA cycling team members. It seems the USOC is being very conservative with their Covid policy.

I will keep your idea in mind for future episodes and if BVV ever gets reignited I will definitely do an episode on that.

1 Like

@colbypearce

FYI, I just realized that I missed your last 50 or so podcasts. I see now that you have two feeds on Stitcher. One is called Cycling in Alignment that seems dead and another called Cycling in Alignment with Colby Pearce.

I had been subscribed to the first and just figured that you stopped podcasting.

Hi everyone!

Colby Pearce’s Cycling in Alignment podcast continues to produce new episodes. His website is a great place to learn more:

https://www.colbypearce.com/podcast/

Dave Trendler
Fast Talk Labs

Yeah, I pretty much figured that out!