Fast Talk Episode 240: Should Cyclists Run and Should Runners Cycle? – with Lauren Vallee

Hello! Great episode! I was waiting for something like this since Tom Dumoulin run a 32:38 10k last year :wink:

I just wanted to add an answer to the question that was asked in the podcast about how to keep a 90 cadence while running. Beside counting as it was suggested, you could listen to a curated playlist with that rhythm.

Here is one on Spotify

Thank you again!

2 Likes

This was a good listen, and something I’d like to explore a bit more. I was, prior to 2018, a firm believer that running wasn’t fun, and hardly did anything. Some of the runners in my (cycle) club raised a challenge, and being the super competitive person I am, I jumped to the challenge… run a few 10Km races.

1. Things I did well
  • started slowly (followed an 8-week plan to run 5Km (6 min/Km), and another 6 weeks to 10Km (5.5 min/Km).
  • I trusted the plan, and followed it 100%, and the results were as expected.
  • got fitted by a reputable run shop, with suitable shoes.
  • zero injuries with 2,000Km (1,250 miles)
  1. Things I did less well
  • did too much running, was doing 3 runs per week (5Km, 5Km and 10-15Km) for the whole year.
  • Expected too much from my cycling performance, and was left feeling disappointed.
  • Stopped running, altogether, in 2020 just after covid forced us indoors.

My cycling performance dropped so much that I was dropped on hills I would normally be at, or close to, the front of the bunch.

Nice podcast indeed.

Like @geraldm24 i lost endurance performance in my main sport. I suspect it to be the result of training different muscle groups.

It did gain in doms resistance which I am very happy with.

It made me think about the cause of doms again: it may be more related to tendons and facia then the muscle.

So I keep running, but limit the hours as much as I can:
5k once a week might be sufficient to up the doms resistance.

1 Like

A great episode and really interesting for me to hear. Whenever I tried to do a bit of off-season running in the past I gave up after one or two short runs. Each time I would push it too hard too soon and quickly develop pain and injury.

This year I have done things a bit differently and am now really enjoying getting in to running. I started out in August with some short run/walks with 1 minute run/2 minute walk and progressed slowly from there. I am now running twice a week - a steady 30-45 minutes mid-week and a 5km Parkrun on Saturdays.

As a timetriallist who races 10 mile TT’s in the summer, the 5km run is a very similar hard aerobic 20-something minute effort so I am hoping this will transfer well next season. The great thing about starting running is enjoying the newbie improvements getting PB’s every Saturday knocking 30-40secs off each week so far :grin:. I only did my first Parkrun on the 1st October though so I’m sure gains are going to become much harder to find. Still, a nice change from TT’ing where after 10 years, a PB of a few seconds is increasingly difficult to come by!

What effect the running has on my bike fitness and performance next season remains to be seen, but I can honestly say, at the age of 53, I now feel healthier than I have done at any time in the last 30 years and really enjoy the mental break of doing something different. Years spent bike riding with very little else to balance things out had left me with lots of aches, pains and mobility limitations. Introducing running into my training has helped alleviate these issues, left me feeling healthier with better posture and generally moving better. For all those reasons I would reccomend it. As for bike performance, watch this space…

I followed this plan, and will be loading it on my Intervals.icu library, as a free workout plan.

1 Like

Hello, this was a timely episode for me as I have been contemplating my off season cross training. I tried to add running earlier this year in preperation for CX season and got a total of one run in. I really dislike running. So, are there other cross-training alternatives to running that will give me the same or similiar benefits to running? I have been doing some body weight strength training (GMB Fitness) which I really like. Would something like jumping rope work as a substatute?

Jumping is running in terms of physiology.

Why don’t you like it?

I have a long answer to a short question but when I was younger (pre kids) I ran a lot but by the end I had a lot of hip pain and burned myself out from running. Each time I have attempted to start running again I get a few runs in before I lose all desire to run. If I am not enjoying it, I don’t want to do it, especially if it means sacrificing family time. I can ride my bike on my trainer at home with my kids while they watch shows in the evening. I don’t have treadmill, nor can I justify the expense of one if I am not sure I will consistently use it, so if I ran it would be outside alone. There are a few other reasons that are women specific that I won’t get into but esentially, I know I won’t succeed in running because I don’t have the motivation or commitment to do it so I want to find an alternative that I will do.

My two girls asked me when I’m going to run again, so they can ride their bikes, outside, while I run.

That’s all the motivation I need, except for the bit that they are faster now than 2.5 years ago.

Except for the woman thing, you might benefit from running form training.

When you say running form training are you talking about body posture, stride, etc.?

My son has done that with me a few times. Like your girls, he is too fast now and rides off without me. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes. Injuries/pain tend to be either overuse (too much) or technique. Even very small changes in postures can help a lot.
I benefitted a lot from the online video’s on the pose method and chi running, even though a gait analysis showed good form. The form does not stay good get fatigue kicks in. That’s were those methods help me to ‘measure’ my form.

1 Like

Hey Rebecca,

I’m glad you liked the episode and discussion. First and foremost, I think with cross-training that enjoyment is an important consideration! If you wanted to stick with running, I’d suggest looking at you running route, surface, etc.

What is it that you like about cycling? For me it’s exploration, so when I run I use that to see places that I’m not able to on my bike. For example, I like to explore neighborhoods I would never ride through or trails that I’m not permitted to ride on. By focusing on the “explore” aspect I quickly forget about the constant and repetitive plodding along that I do not enjoy.

The other thing that has helped me is to slow down. I’ve found running to be more enjoyable when I’m not miserable with effort (which is how I used to run!).

Regardless, there are many sports that are options. As long as they are lower-body focused and rhythmic endurance activities I think they are fair-game. Nordic Skiing, Hiking, etc. are all great.