Fast Talk, episode 127: Overreaching, Overtraining, and Burnout

I like this definition of Overtraining

Overtraining occurs when performance does not recover within on reduced-load training cycle.

I like about this is you can fit definition this to the novice/beginner, skilled amateur/intermediate or elite/pro athlete. A novice/beginner training cycle might be each ride, an amateur/intermediate 2-3 week block, etc.

It doesn’t include falling off the cliff taking weeks to months to years to recover. Perhaps some word is needed for “Overtraining Burnout.” Or maybe my definition of Overtraining might be best served by the common term Overcooked. “She came into the race overcooked, and didn’t perform like she expected to.”

Sorry for the crosspost, I just find this topic so fascinating and this book such a detailed description of Overtraining.

Fit2besick by John Badessa I include the Amazon Link because it can be difficult to find the book for some reason.

amazon.com

Fit2besick: The side effects of perfection

5.0 out of 5 stars, $17.95

The first person story of a talented national champion BMX racer who finds and becomes obsessed with Road Cycling. His overtraining journey, recovery, and subsequent relapse shows the physical, emotional, social consequences, the denial, the search for answers.