Raising the Ceiling (FTP/VO2)

Thanks @steveneal, that’s really interesting.

Late to the party here, but I’d just mention that WKO models time at VO2 and I have consistently accumulated more time doing the MAP workouts that @steveneal referenced than using the FRC/FTP optimized intervals (usually 4-5 min in duration). The workout I do most often is 21 x 90 sec @ MAP (mentioned by Steve on the FLO podcast way back I think) w/ 3 min RBI. I’ve moved the duration out to 2:15 with success (reducing the number of intervals). By my estimation, WKO’s model credits time after around 50 sec @ MAP as 90-95% VO2.

1 Like

Loads of good chart collections here: Coach's WKO Charts - CPT Cycling

It’s a “courses for horses” kind of thing. You just need to figure out what type of training you respond to (like you’ve done). We’re all responders - we just differently to similar training doses.

1 Like

@steveneal I’m interested in the rational for the standing every 4:30 on the Tuesday 23rd ride and the sprint work on the Saturday 13th ride. Intuitively, I’m thinking you are trying to involve IIa fibers. Is this correct? Or is the focus purely neuromuscular? Both Thanks!

@fazel1010 this is less about fibers to me and more about trying to have some sort of real-world riding while training indoors for months on end.

So the standing is really to simulate how often a mtber has to get out of the saddle on technical terrain while maintaining power or increasing it - many athletes drop power when they transition in and out of the saddle.

The small sprints I usually vary 8s - 12s - 15s - 20s and alternate seated and standing also for trying to simulate small punchy pieces on the trail.

The athletes I work with are often doing a race early spring with little or NO outdoor riding before the event, and often when moving to the trails these little efforts can become fatiguing over 2-3h when not adapter at all.

Gotcha - makes sense. I find I need to stand every 15/20 min on long rides on rollers just to save my rear end LOL.

1 Like

Another great reason :slight_smile:

Which rollers do you have?

I have TruTrainer - found a used set years ago on Craigslist and then upgraded to the SmartLoad rear roller back in 2019. Super pricey new, but if they broke or something I’d buy new ones. I absolutely love them. Remind me a bit of Roger over at Moxy. Small operation, real quality. I think the dudes we’re aerospace engineers before starting the company.

1 Like

Here’s my favorite raise-the-ceiling type workout - taken from the old Bike Forum’s Workout Recipe Book where it is referred to this as ZCI (ZeCanon intervals).

The protocol is six times 5 min on / 1 min off. I’ve always thought of this as very similar to @stephen.seiler’s 4x8x2 workout. The density is pretty similar (30 min on / 5 min off for ZCI; 32 min on / 6 min off for Seiler). I averaged around 106% of the FTP and you can see I spent a lot of time between between 90% and 95% max HR.

3 Likes

Is this from wko? It’s a good graph. I only use Garmin HR and Connect on my phone. I don’t use a power meter or any other reporting data

Cycling Analytics. One-man shop. Quality piece of software IMO.

1 Like