2021 Intentions

Love this, @SteveHerman!

I have a few lifestyle intentions that I started putting into practice towards the end of 2020, as well as a few I’m looking to develop as 2021 unfolds:

*staying off Instagram

• going to bed earlier
  • meditating at least a few times a week
  • reading a couple of books a month

Best wishes to everyone as they seek to implement better daily choices and improve their lifestyles!

2 Likes

You know what they say about good intentions, right? Well, my intentions below surely don’t seem to be the path to hell! (Then again, that 5K is really going to hurt.)

1. Tweak the dial on work-life balance toward life so I can get some more workout consistency.

2. Continue our family coronavirus reaction of 3-5 miles walking per day. (I felt this actually helped my injury resistance for running this past summer.)

3. Time to set a big, scary goal so I’m actually scared enough to follow a training plan. I’ve had a years-long goal of running a sub-20:00 5K before I turn 50, and I’ve just aged up into the 45-49 age group, so I hope to give this a first stab this year.

4. Continue to lean closer to The Paleo Diet after our 30-day experiment in October.

Dave T.

3 Likes

I am constantly adding to my list of goals/intentions. It used to be in Notes on my phone. It became so long that I moved it over to a spreadsheet. Mostly it comprises events or adventures I’d like to do, so the intentions component is a bit shorter.

But I can share some of the things on it:

• turn off all phone notifications and keep them that way
  • make more time to see more places with my daughter and wife, and teach them both about the environment, its fragility, and its power. This will involve backpacking, camping, roaming, etc. along with an intentional educational component, done in creative ways so as not to seem like a lecture. (Five-year-olds hate lectures.)
  • Do something I’ve never done before. (More on this in an upcoming episode of Fast Talk… stay tuned.)
  • Continue to set firmer boundaries between work and life, and not let them blend. This can be tough when working from home.

This is a great thread. Thanks for posing the question @SteveHerman.

5 Likes

This is a great thread… sad I’m only just discovering it. Would have loved to be involved in those conversations. Really encouraging to see what all of you are setting as goals.

Had to think about mine, but I have a few lifestyle things I’ve been focusing on lately:

1. Read less news - I always thought this was a good thing watching my dad read the newspaper every morning as a kid. But, I’m realizing it can also be an addiction, can take hours out of your day, and have little gain except frustration.

2. Take advantage of the mornings - can’t believe I’m saying this as a night owl, but I’ve been enjoying the mornings more and more. This year I want to start getting up by 6am, do my core/back routine and get a good start to the day.

3. Show patience - this is the big one for me. This has been a side consequence I’ve noticed of the COVID year, but I’ve found I’m less patient with people when they interrupt me from something and I want to reverse that trend.

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Follow up: I acquired some Tulsi sleep tea at your recommendation, and man, you are right! That stuff is great! I’m not really a fan of straight up chamomile tea (smells too much like a flower shop) but the Organic India Tulsi blend is awesome. Thanks for the tip!

3 Likes

You are so welcome, glad to hear it helped! I find this tea really helps me feel rested when I wake.

1 Like

Same! I have been having dreams consistently for the first time in months! It’s a miracle!

2 Likes

A bit late to this thread. I’d be interested to see how everyone’s intentions panned out as we approach the end of 2021

2 Likes