Dr. San Millan's Z2 Rides

Using Max Heart Rate … would you say riding at 60-70% of MHR would be ideal for long “zone 2” rides?

1 Like

Hi @kfb and welcome to the forum!

In general that’s a decent range to start with but may differ depending on the athlete. I would suggest checking out Dr. Seiler’s video on How Long, How Slow? Here’s How to Find Your Ideal Low-Intensity Workout Effort. where he dives into many of the details to consider when determining your low intensity rides.

I’ll also suggest that this is where physiological testing can be helpful. If you can align physiological responses to your HR response, it is another great way to dial in the appropriate intensity.

6 Likes

Coach,
During Inigo’s discussion with Peter Attia, he detailed Z2 as … Lactate between 1.5 and 2.0 mmol’s and typically at Fatmax. In the diagram above, Fatmax occurs at 1.1mmols of Lactate.

• is the 1.5 to 2.0 mmol’s general guidance … whereas the actual test will vary day to day?
  • and the larger question I have is…if I undershoot 1.5 mmol’s one day and overshoot 2.0 mmols another day (this has happened several times during my Z2 training on a trainer using a Lactate meter to test), am I missing the benefits of Z2 training?
    thanks
    Frank
2 Likes

@Frank_O hello do you happen to have other readings that you took during this session?

Also was the power steady during the session?

Lots of lactate comments are made with values such as 1.5 or 2 or 4 mmol.

If you had a person with LT1 deflection of 2.2 mmol for LT1 I would then attach a power and heart rate value to this number and then use it for endurance training. I would use the power as a ceiling for the rides.

Working with cross country skiers I would assign different values for skate skiing, classic skiing and double pole inky work. You would see a higher lactate in the upper body only work as an absolute value but the deflection during the test would assign the training zone value.

This would be similar to a triathlete having different absolute lactate values at LT1 for each of the three sports.

I use the same machine as you and if you get a value you aren’t sure of always take another reading right away to confirm.

Coach, thanks for your response. Most of my Z2 workouts are within the 1.5 to 2.0 mmol range (I calibrate my Computrainer, use HR strap, and set Z2 wattage after 12 minute WU). But some sessions, my RPE, HR and wattage feel off…and sure enough, lactate then measures either too high or too low. I realize Z2 is not an on/off switch, but if I’m outside the 1.5 to 2.0mmol range (which Inigo defines as Z2) does that mean too little stress or too much stress for my Type I fibers as well as too much or too little for the mighty mitochondria? from what I’ve listened too, Z2 is all about those mitochondria adaptations - and am I missing out if I miss the mmol mark? thanks

@Frank_O I applaud your nerdiness! Who else out there is regularly taking lactate measures on their Z2 trainer rides.

If you are truly wanting to hone in on your day to day zones I would recommend that you look at the Moxy device. Circulating blood lactate measures are only a shadow of what is happening at the muscular level.

Moxy = watching the game live
Lactate = reading about the game in the newspaper the next day

Check out the information being put out there by researcher Andri Feldmann
NIRSport Science - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks Man! Yea, Zone2’s got my attention in that it seems to occupy both performance and longevity, and I can see myself churning out some Z2 even when I’m 70! But Moxy? I’ll check it out…but that may be a while (until my wife forgets I bought a lactate meter;)

With the Moxy , in this case you will use the MoXy everytime? I mean , @Frank_O , attached HR and POwer , for dont need to take lactate measures all the time , with moxy not be the same?
Like Lactate test and see how much oxygen saturation (Smo2) goes down , so you need to use Moxy everytime and stick with that…?

sorry if my question seems rude, it’s not my intention; just try to understand in this context.

Hi I will jump in here as a long time Moxy and Lactate user.

The first comments about Moxy being live, and lactate being read the next day in the paper isn’t exactly true.

Depending on your usage, you may need to do an interval with the moxy and see how you respond, then adjust next interval. With lactate you could do the same thing.

You can use moxy for testing, and create zones how you choose based on the outcome, then train with heart rate and/or power until the next test. You can also use it for live monitoring if you understand how it trends with the individual.

In using both for years, I wouldn’t always have anyone staring at the moxy data, it is important to still learn a feeling for many athletes.

I will soon have a Garmin app that will allow you to see how your moxy data is trending during an interval, this helps use it live without have to stare at it all of the time.

If you have any more questions about Moxy don’t hesitate to ask.

3 Likes

My previous comment was mostly thinking about the response to an input.

Changes in SmO2 can be seen rather quickly.
Whereas lactate concentration changes within the muscle cell, then that change is transferred to the blood, then the time it takes for general circulation to reach the finger tip/ear lobe can take a bit longer.

All data is useful in skilled hands. As Steve has shared he has successfully used both approaches for years. The nuances of interpreting live data is a skill to learn and we are lucky to have the coaches here as a resource for us all.

Coming back to the theme of the thread.
The exciting thing for athletes is the breadth of tools at our disposal. We have the ability to use: RPE, HR, Power, Lactate, SmO2, respiration rate; to learn how to better perform Z2 rides or any training session. Beyond any training session, the ability to better understand our bodies is amazing.

@Frank_O has bravely shared his experiences and learnings. I hope that we all can do the same.

2 Likes

Now I’m really confused. @ryan your response to Scooter on 11/06 sets out your zones in the five zone model. It looks like we have the same max hr and threshold hr, and the tempo looks right (for me) too, but the estimates for your aerobic base rides (for hr) are well above what feels right to me. I try and keep below 130bpm based on Seiler’s work (and if I listen to Phil Maffetone I would probably go ever lower). I simply don’t see how that corresponds to what he says this type of effort should feel like (sorry I don’t have a quote to hand). Just below 130bpm I can ride for 2 - 2.5 hrs before my hr starts to drift, so if anything I’m inclined to think that might be a little high for me for a base ride. In my long rides of 4-5 hrs (before my layoff) I really don’t see how i could have done this up to another 20bpm higher! Just when I thought I understood that long base rides should feel nice and easy I see this! :frowning:

Yeah - I has started to classify aerobic rides into three categories.

1. FatMax <= 60% of heart rate reserve (129 BPM)
  2. Base ~= 65% of heart rate reserve (136 BPM)
  3. Aerobic Threshold - right at 70% heart rate reserve (144 BPM).

This may seem overly precise, but if you are going to do a load of Z2 work, it’s nice to think of it in this way. And there is a world of difference between FatMax and Aerobic Threshold. Those two I tend to use for structured rides. The latter is really challenging (I did 2:15 in a 2:45 hour ride yesterday and am taking today off).

If I don’t want structure, I’ll just try to keep my HR between 60% and 70% and categorize it as “Base”.

6 Likes

@fazel1010

Do you have an actual test placing your different zones at those specific HRs or are these estimates of your own?

I’m asking because FatMax is usually much closer to AeT as opposed to lower than the middle of your Z2.

I did an INSCYD test with @steveneal around 2 years ago. That heart rate should be pretty close as I don’t think it changes that much. I’m just using 70% of HRR for aerobic threshold - no test. This usually puts me right around 75% of threshold by power. There’s a massive San Millan thread over on the TR forum and this seems to be the consensus for where he’s having his riders train. One of the users wrote a script to scrub pro’s files and pull the power data. It’s worth a look.

Some great answers already from everyone.

I will just add that I find the following zones to work quite well when using heart rate.

60-70% of max heart rate will work for most, if you are beginning at haven’t done much endurance then you could push that to 74% of max heart rate, as long as it isn’t muscular.

For Tempo I would use 78-83% of max heart rate.

4 Likes

Thanks @steveneal - that’s much closer to what I’d expect to see and feels right. Interested to hear @ryan thoughts, as he appears to suggest something much higher. For example, the hr level he describes as (amongst other things) ‘recovery’ feels way too hard for that.

Hi @steveneal. This range corresponds to my FatMax heart rate, so the other “aerobic” work I’ve been doing is higher. I remember in another post you had said you identify two endurance intensities. Are both incorporated within this 60-70% of max heart rate range? If so, I’m going to re-calibrate my work. Thanks!

@fazel1010 maybe you are referring to my tempo range? Athletes who don’t have a lot of time to do endurance, I usually have them do more tempo. I like to test for this range so it isn’t too hard, just at the right intensity, but usually falls between 78-83% of max heart rate.

It was up thread. Looks like both would be in the 60% - 70% range so I need to reduce intensity and work in tempo.

2 endurance - which I split into easy and steady endurance - steady endurance would be within 10-15 watts of LT1 (easy endurance would have a ceiling of LT1 but the normalized power would be lower than 10-15 watts below LT1 - OR Inscyd FatMax range

2 Likes

Oh yes.

So there is a number of ways to do this.

Easy endurance - by feeling and for most people likely 150-190w would suffice.

Steady Endurance - close to LT1 and super steady

So a mix of the above could be done. I might start someone with more easy endurance, some steady endurance, and move them towards a goal of all steady endurance.

+++

The other could be a rotation of:

easy endurance / steady endurance / tempo – 20m 20m 20m – for as long as they have up to 3h depending on their fitness level and ability to fuel an aerobic ride like this.

3 Likes